Santa Fe Safety and Security Committee will be having a meeting on October 8, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
Providing a safe learning environment is the district’s top priority. As a proactive step, Santa Fe ISD Police Department has developed safety and crisis response procedures.
Throughout the school year, schools will conduct a variety of practice drills during the school day to ensure that all persons are familiar with their roles and responsibilities. Additionally, all schools have identified secondary sites and reunification (student pickup) procedures in case it becomes necessary to evacuate the school premises. If a safety situation occurs, the district may utilize parent callouts and the district website www.sfisd.org to communicate information to parents. Remember to follow our twitter page for up to date information.
Weather :Shelter in Place
This procedure may be implemented when weather conditions exist that may place the schools in immediate danger. The following steps will occur:
- Students and staff will be sheltered inside buildings away from outside windows or doors
- Buildings will be open for entry only
- No one may exit until the “ALL CLEAR” is given
When the “ALL CLEAR” is given, normal activities may resume activities or a parent/student reunification (student pickup) process may be initiated.
Shelter in Place
This procedure may be implemented when a situation other than weather may be a hazard to health or is life threatening. It is safer to keep the students inside the building rather than expose them to possible harm by allowing them to leave the building; therefore;
- All windows and doors will be locked
- The air conditioning system will be shut down
- No one will be allowed to enter or leave a building
- Parents will not be able to pick up children from school
Once the “ALL CLEAR” is given, students and teachers will return to their regular activities or a parent/student reunification (student pickup) program may be initiated. If a school is sheltering in place, parents should also shelter in place at home.
This procedure is initiated when an intruder enters the premises of a campus and poses an imminent danger to students and staff.
- All doors, windows, and classrooms will be locked
- Students and teachers will remain in their classrooms
- No one will be allowed to enter or leave the building
- Parents will not be allowed to pick up children from school
- Local authorities will provide assistance, if needed
Once the “ALL CLEAR” is given, students and teachers will return to their regular activities or the parent/student reunification (student pickup) process will go into effect.
In the event that a decision has been made that a school must be evacuated and emergency personnel report that the danger or threat has passed, and the area is safe for children and parents, reunification procedures will be initiated. The district/school will identify the locations, time, and checkout process for parents to pick up children. The district website will be one of the tools used to communicate instructions with parents.