COLLEGIATE HIGH SCHOOL
Collegiate High School @ College of the Mainland
SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO SEE THE AUGUST 2, 2022 MEETING PRESENTATION
Jump-start your future with Collegiate High School. CHS can help you begin as a junior at an upper-level university after high school graduation, while others begin college as freshmen.
CHS students are full-time college students, which is how they differ from traditional dual-credit students. All classes are held on the COM campus, but CHS students may return to their high school for extracurricular activities. Most classes are college-level courses that simultaneously count toward high school and college degree requirements. Plus, COM waives 40 percent of tuition and fees for CHS students. Gaining the best of both worlds, students graduate with their fellow high school classmates.
What is Collegiate High School (CHS)?
CHS is a full-time program at College of the Mainland where students earn an associate degree while simultaneously completing a high school diploma. Enjoying the best of both worlds, Collegiate High School students attend all classes at COM while still participating in extracurricular activities at their current high school. Plus, CHS students have access to all COM student resources, events, and activities.
Students entering this program are considered college students. High school procedures will not be followed in the college classes, and college professors follow their own grading and attendance procedures. Professors do not send progress reports and other parental notifications home. Students must be mature and self-motivated to be successful.
Santa Fe High School Guidelines
To participate in this program, students must do the following:
- Freshman Year- Take AP Human Geography and one other Pre-AP class
- Sophomore Year- Take PSYC 1300 (Psychology for Success) and PSYC 2301 (Psychology), along with HIST 1301 & 1302 (American/U.S. History); students will be required to take US History STAAR
To be approved to CHS their junior year, students must meet the following criteria:
- Have a G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher
- Have passed the English I, Algebra, Biology, English II, and USH STAAR exams
- Have a 90% attendance rate from the previous and present semesters
- Be successful on the TSI exam
- Apply to CHS by the application deadline set forth by SFHS (includes recommendation letters and all other necessary documentation)
- Complete interview process with COM
Students must maintain the following to continue in the CHS program, or they will be required to return to SFHS, where there are support systems designed for high school students:
- Have a G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher (No exceptions for Advanced Academic classes or dual credit grades.)
- Pass all CHS classes
- Not drop more than 1 class
- Have a 90% attendance rate with CHS
- Be on a path for an Associate’s Degree
Collegiate High School is not a free program, so students will incur expenses similar to the expenses related to other programs, clubs, and activities.
- Annual Program Fee: $675/student; $270 for students who qualify for free/reduced lunch
- COM Tuition & Fees: amount varies based on the college courses taken and the fee schedule. COM waives 40% of tuition and non-refundable fees charged to adult students. COM’s fee schedule is posted on the website: www.com.edu
- Transportation to COM each day
- Meals (no access to free/reduced lunch meals)
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Download the presentation from our latest meeting:
Contact your counselor or one of the following:
District Level Guidelines
Executive Director of CTE
High School Application Process
COM-Collegiate HS Guidelines
Director of CHS